You comment I follow

Friday 5 August 2011

Furniture industry struggles

The owner of a city furniture store which closes next month says he is sorry to leave Coventry so soon – and partly blames the council for not doing enough to encourage smaller traders.

Paul Slack, who runs Livingwoods of Coventry in Corporation Street, is taking early retirement because he could not afford to renew the lease on the shop.

Mr Slack, 61, said: “Due to the economic climate I can’t renew my lease. The last couple of years we haven’t made any money, but had the situation been better, I would have liked to trade a few more years.

“I feel desperately sorry and devastated I have had close sooner than I wanted to.

“If I could have opened for another few years I would have done but the overheads are just too high.”
The closure will leave just a single hairdresser’s operating in the row of shops – which was once home to the popular Alma’s deli and coffee shop and other small stores.

Mr Slack, from Kettering, opened the oak furniture store in Coventry with wife Jane 15 years ago.
He said he chose Coventry because he felt it offered lots of opportunities, but blamed high council rates and rent for their decision to close early. He will shut up for good on September 28.

He added: “I first came to Coventry because I thought it was a good city, with a good demographic population and people wanting quality furniture. It definitely lived up to my expectations but the city has changed.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahaha, it's funny man

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments!

The more the merrier...